Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 5th Poem--NaPoWriMo

I haven't been following the prompts but a friend of mine told me I should write a blues poem (day 4's prompt). Here goes! (By the way, I always wanted to have an excuse to say "Mama" in a poem!).

Untitled Blues

I headed south down the coast to start over.
I drove down that long road to start over.
I got me a new life now, Mama; but Mama, the road wrecked my man.

Was a time when I woke with the sunlight.
Said, I used to wake up to that sunshine.
But the light’s gone out on me, Mama; and Mama, the night’s an old friend.

The white owl is perched on the stone wall.
Yes, the old owl sits low on the stone wall.
Coyote got hold of its wing, Mama; and now it’s got no way to go.

The road and the sunlight keep calling.
Said the road and the sun they’re a-callin’.
You know I can’t leave him here, Mama; but Mama, I’m so far from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment